What is Contempt of Court with Child Custody?

Deeper Understanding. Better Solutions.
child custody attorney

You’ve probably heard of contempt of court, which basically refers to being disobedient or disrespectful towards the court and its officers, such as the judge, but did you know that there is also specifically such a thing as Contempt of Court with Child Custody?

As any family law attorney would tell you, such as a Paulding GA child custody attorney, this specific type of custody pertains to the offense of substantially interfering in a child custody or visitation rights. 

For example, the custodial parent blocking visitation rights, or communication, with the other parent, which is otherwise allowed by the court can be found to be in contempt of court with child custody. 

The parent seeking relief may resort to filing a case with the court, with the help of a Paulding child custody attorney.

Child Custody Laws in Georgia

In Georgia, judges involved in a child custody case are required to consider certain factors impacting the child’s best interests. These include each parent’s ability to care for the child, their physical and mental capacity, the strength of bonds with the child, and the kind of home environment they can provide for the child. 

Both parents should have equal rights when it comes to arranging who takes custody of the child. But given the listed factors above, the court may also end up awarding sole custody to one parent instead, with the other merely being afforded visitation rights. Although one parent would have sole custody, the visitation rights awarded by the court must be faithfully enforced, to ensure that the parental rights of the non-custodial parent is retained. Otherwise, the case becomes ripe for contempt of court with child custody. 

How a Lawyer Can Help

Contempt of court with child custody could have serious repercussions not only on both parents but the child itself. If the non-custodial parent feels that their visitation rights are indeed being infringed upon, then it is recommended to seek counsel from a Paulding County GA child custody attorney, such as those from William R. Pike Law LLC

The lawyers can help file the case before the court, as well as present evidence proving the claim, so that the non-custodial parent can get the enforcement they need for the visitation rights. 


request a consultation

All fields are required. Please fill out the form and we will get back to you within 24 hours.

Dallas Office

110 Evans Mill Drive, Suite 402
Dallas, GA 30157
get directions